PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - “SPEED, SPEED, SPEED” Warning
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 21:58
Vessbot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _Phoenix
Actually they are correct, the total energy decreases under the work of the increased drag, since the initial total energy+work of drag force(-)=final total energy(lower). They say you have to increase Power(thrust force) to recover the lost of kinetic energy(and to recover the initial total energy) in order to keep the flight path. Otherwise, by keeping the lower total energy state you have to trade your potential energy towards the kinetic energy, before the alfa floor kicks in.
I'm not sure exactly what you're addressing, but I'll take the blame since this time I muddled up the picture by posting an example from a different discussion. The underlying commonality is that people mistakenly call speed "energy" when they should be saying "kinetic energy."

In the high altitude example I posted, that leads them to mistakenly infer "low energy" from "low speed" and forget about all the potential energy below them.

The example that this thread is based on is someone inferring "low speed" from the warning that's about low energy (but you can't really blame him, since the plane said "SPEED!") and increasing the speed (presumably via pitching down; CaptainMongo didn't clarify but that's what I'm inferring) which only worsened the total energy loss.

Last edited by Vessbot; 23rd Feb 2018 at 02:34.