PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 20:16
CurtainTwitcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieger
The so called academy is just another empty promise that only serves to muddy the waters.

If I put on my cynic's hat, I would argue this is cunning an attempt to monetise a crisis, or in accountant speak another create another GCU (Cash Generating Unit). You have to give him credit for attempting to turn a potential liability into a stream of cash for the shareholders.

Originally Posted by Alan Joyce
“Over time, we see potential for the academy to become a competitive advantage for Australia in the region. It could train pilots for other airlines and grow into the largest academy of its kind in the southern hemisphere,” added Mr Joyce.

The academy will initially train around 100 pilots a year for direct entry into the Qantas Group, including Jetstar and regional carrier, QantasLink. Depending on demand from other parts of the aviation industry, this could grow to 500 pilots a year on a fee-for-service basis.
The best bit, get someone else to pay you for the pleasure, ie a State & Federal Governments. Note the euphemistic code for subsidies.

Originally Posted by Alan Joyce
In establishing the academy, Qantas will partner with one of several existing training providers. It will also engage with Federal, State and Territory governments to discuss possible locations.
Qantas Newsroom: QANTAS GROUP ANNOUNCES PILOT ACADEMY

or framed another way,
Mr Joyce said Qantas wanted to give the states and territories "a fair shake" to get involved in a project that could boost local economies.
Qantas plans to address a global pilot shortage by setting up what it says could be the southern hemisphere's largest flight academy.