PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iran Accident
Thread: Iran Accident
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 14:07
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
NDBs don't have radials !

Flying a TRACK away from an NDB is not an easy task, especially when there is a serious crosswind.
OK, OK, my bad, excuse the nomenclature, but I suspect/I hope you understood what method I was driving at with that post....there is a basic RMI technique that covers both VOR radial and NDB outbound course tracking and there's no real need to deploy calculators and do loads of pre-flight planning to do so.

Take a procedure which has an outbound track from an NDB..you can achieve and hold the required TRACK from your NDB by "flying the tail" or "dragging/pulling the tail" of the ADF needle so that the tail lies against the RMI compass rose on the outbound track demanded by the procedure (FWIW for any errors I was taught to use double that error as the steering correction) . Yes I know you need to take drift into account, but TBH having done this stuff in the past for NDB, VOR and TACAN procedures, and well before the days of GPS and overlays I personally wouldn't say following a track or radial outbound from a beacon was in the rocket science level of difficulty, it is (or at least it used to be) standard procedural IF "pilot stuff". I'd also agree it can be demanding on a bad weather day and very unforgiving of gross errors if there are terrain issues..

Call me old fashioned but I do agree to a certain extent with Arctic Circle's comment.

Last edited by wiggy; 22nd Feb 2018 at 17:49.