PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Services to offer part time flexible working hours
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 07:13
VinRouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
While I can understand the logic behind it in a civilian environment, surely a military one by its very role will mean it's going to be difficult to roll out across the board, I can understand it working in second line services, catering, supply, admin etc, but on front line units and those involving detachments, oversees service etc perhaps not so.

The fundamental problem I envisage is manning, as they are struggling to address the shortage of recruitment at the moment, operating a two for one job scenario will just increase those problems, plus unlike a serviceman or women, a civilian counterpart you tend not to have to feed, house and dress, or indeed train.

Retention, yes I could see it working to a degree, but that then will suck up the flow out of the services and possibly into the reserves.
At the rate of pay for full time reservists, I very much doubt that. Particularly for high tech merit roles. More likely to go civvie 60-75% and back fill with part time reserve service.