PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is a Pa27 ???????????
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2003, 03:15
Chilli Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negative 'G'

You're probably being a little harsh, but there is a grain of sense in what you're getting at.

I'll take off the pilot hat and put on the ATCO one now. I'd rather hear the name (Apache, Aztec etc) because with some of Mr Pipers products it has certain safety consequences.

I once saw a flight plan on an inbound - it said P28A. This is what appeared on the flight strip, this is what the controller thought he was getting. Said visitor requested an SRA. Controller was busy and didn't bother with gear check at 8 miles. At 3 miles he issued the landing clearance and got back "Roger, cleared to land, gear to come". It was an Arrow!

Who was at fault - the pilot, he actually filed a flight plan and put the wrong type on it. Knowing his ICAO codes would have prevented it. However, lots of people don't flight plan and it does make a difference at GA fields if you let us know whether you're a Cherokee, an Arrow, etc etc.

So yes, Neg 'G', you've got a point and although you've called it sad it can also have more serious consequences. PA32's are another example - is it a Cherokee 6 (fixed gear) or a Lance (retractable and faster)?

Names please boys and girls - it makes life easier (thereby making neither the '23 or the '27 brigade correct ).