PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF security film
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2018, 11:41
roving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Cadet receiving all the prizes from HRH Princess Elizabeth in this freebie film made in 1951 was later AVM Merriman.

Air Vice-Marshal Alan Merriman CB CBE AFC & Bar is the Queen's man in Hitchin and a YOPEY judge

"I was evacuated from London on the outbreak of Second World War to a tiny village near Braughing and went to the school now known as Richard Hale. On leaving school, I started two years National Service with the Royal Air Force and decided to make that my career. After completing pilot training at the RAF College Cranwell I became a flying instructor on Meteor jets and a fighter pilot on a Hunter squadron before spending a year as a student at the Empire Test Pilots School. As a qualified test pilot I flew every fast jet fighter and trainer aeroplane destined for the Armed Forces, including the Canberra, Javelin, Lightning, Harrier, Jaguar, Gnat, Hawk and many American, French and Swedish aircraft. I was appointed a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society. After Staff College training I became the Personal Secretary to the Government Minister for the RAF and later responsible for specifying the capabilities of all the future aircraft for the RAF. They included what is now known as the Eurofighter Typhoon. In my spare time I enjoyed playing rugby and sailing cruising yachts. On retiring I moved back to Hertfordshire and became chairman of the County Territorial and Volunteer Reserve Forces Committee, Representative of the RAF Benevolent Fund, Honorary President of 1066 (Hitchin) ATC Squadron, President of the Richard Hale Old Boys Association and a Deputy Lord Lieutenant. I have three married daughters, one of whom spent seven years with the Territorial Army."
http://www.youngpeopleoftheyear.org/...udges_sponsors

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/c...graduation-day

Last edited by roving; 21st Feb 2018 at 12:18. Reason: ADDITION