PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Durham Tees Valley-7
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2018, 11:08
mcginty1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the Mayor need a vision for turning this around?

During Peels tenure they have done nothing but encourage airlines to leave. Ryanair ran flights to Alicante ;Peel then introduced the £6 passenger fee, which coincidentally is Ryanairs profit margin per seat, and Ryanair were off.

Thomson ran holiday flights; wanted to use the airport and incredibly Peel told them to leave.

Theses are two of many confirmed.

One unconfirmed from 10 years ago , was about KLM. They wanted to expand their freight operation. They asked Peel about using DTV. If they were given the opportunity they would scrap flights from AMS to NCL and LBA and use DTV as their hub for the North East. Our Councillor friends from SBC who sat on the board soon scuppered that on 'Noise pollution'
There is a viable product in DTV, many on here know it, and so does Ben Houchen.
Look at Globespan. They ran 2 flights per day from our airport and I never got on one that wasn't full. Unfortunately they ventured into transatlantic and it cost them.
The airport needs an airline like Globespan or Ryanair or even Norwegian to follow this model. It needs daily flights to London, and flights to Ireland , Dublin and/or Belfast. The people are here but before long they will throw the towel in and play right into Peels hands.
I travel every week by air , and do so as much as possible from DTV. I welcome the changes being made to the terminal. We just need a few more routes... and I think the mayor recognises Peel are not interested in the slightest bit.