PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow spotters balcony...
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2018, 09:29
edi_local

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jensdad
I can't help thinking that 9/11 was an excuse. The same thing happened here at Newcastle. From memory, our excellent viewing area (the terminal's position right at one end of the airfield meant you could see the entire field) closed that afternoon and never reopened. As has been mentioned, Frankfurt & Schiphol seem to manage OK.

Has there ever in the history of aviation been a terrorist attack carried out from a viewing area? I could be wrong but I suspect not.
I think FRA and AMS, as well as ZRH and a whole host of other mainland European airports manage to do it because they still want to invite people to be part of the airport even if they aren't travelling. I spent some time a few years back at the LX training centre in Kloten. I used to get free access to the viewing gallery there with my visitor pass. I spent an hour or so there most nights after my work. It is excellent.

Some airports also do airside tours on buses. Why UK airports have to pretend that security issues prevent this kind of thing is beyond me. EDI gives over it's old runway to a charity car racing event, or it has done a few times. They could easily offer airside tours, for example. Charge a small fee and it'd be a money maker from local school groups and visitors too.

There is just no desire in the UK to support casual interest in aircraft. That itself leads to people hanging around perimeter fences, parking up at road sides and loitering around airport car parks trying to get a glimpse of the action. Then they are treated as suspicious!