PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - “SPEED, SPEED, SPEED” Warning
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2018, 00:17
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CaptainMongo

I know that technically it is independent of protections, but without reacting to it, the next thing you're probably going to see is Alpha Floor which means you've really cocked up. My reading says that "if the aircraft decelerates at 1 kt/sec, and: - The FPA is -3 ̊, the alert will trigger at approximately VLS -8, - The FPA is -4 ̊, the alert will trigger at approximately VLS -2.", therefore for practical purposes, the warning is based on speed. I appreciate that it may call SPEED SPEED at speeds higher than VLS, but I can't see why it should do that under normal operations. Either way, it also would seem odd that it would call out SPEED SPEED if it wasn't telling you to increase speed. Still doesn't explain how you've managed it 3 times in 7 years when getting in that position means you're manoeuvring with inappropriate speeds, or am I still missing something? I know it can occur when the FDs are not being followed, eg a situation where you're in THR IDLE/OP DES and you pitch above the FD bars (not flying in SPEED mode), not sure why you'd be doing that unless you were actively trying to have a chat with the boss? Otherwise, what are you doing turning near or below VLS? If as the others say, it's a result of windshear or rotor effects etc, you've selected an inappropriate speed for the turn in those conditions, you'd be foolish to be anywhere near VLS unless you're flying in a straight line even on a nice day. My airlines policy is not to fly below green dot whilst clean, S speed with flaps 1 and F speed/managed Vapp with all the goodies GS mini gives you, it keeps you safe for the all sensible reasons. I don't mean to appear obtuse, it just seems like a pretty odd thing to hear on a regular basis.