PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - “SPEED, SPEED, SPEED” Warning
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2018, 17:33
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think I have heard that warning maybe three times over the past seven years, one of which was when flying the transition to 5R at MMMX.
I guess SPEED SPEED makes sense as you call out the error when calling deviations, eg 'Bank Angle', 'Pitch', 'Glideslope'. Lowering the nose will increase the speed and silence the warning, add power to improve the energy state, but it's a very significant alert which is telling you to increase your speed.

No offence, but you must be doing something wrong, you'll hear that warning right before the protections kick in, so why are you pushing the aircraft that far, or allowing it to be pushed that far? Surely it's the sort of thing you'd only hear once in your life and then never again as you'd be scared to death by it? Or is it seen in some other way in your airline? Why would you be flying below VLS in normal operations?

For a non Airbus guy, can you guys say what causes this warning to come on?
When you've got half or more of the flaps out, it basically shouts SPEED SPEED when you're flying slower than VLS (which is a speed equal to VREF on final approach), there are a few more specific conditions but essentially, it's just telling you you are flying FAR too slowly.