PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Direct Entry Commands (merged)
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2003, 00:21
Reverend Doctor Doug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max,

You are almost correct. I think for many F/O', command will be somewhere near where they would have been had we not purchased these extra aircraft which forced the requirement for DE captains.

There is however a large group of 777 F/O's who are now stuck on type (because there are no transition upgrades and no new aircraft deliveries for some time) who will probably be looking at 4years or more to command. I know that is not a long time in the big scheme of things, but it does take on greater signifigance when you have been bypassed by your mate on the 330, and the company is hiring DEC's

The additional problem from a morale point of view is that once the company has taken the step toward DE commands, there can be no guarantee (given EK's history of not honoring the agreements it makes with joining pilots) where it will all end.

It would seem to me that on the surface DE commands will provide a reasonable cost saving to the company, and having watched this company operate for some years now, I am concerned that they will keep the DE option open long after the real requirement has been fulfilled.

The main argument against this is that I believe the effects would soon be seen in the recruiting department. i.e fewer applications by far less experienced F/O's.

Cop U Later

The Rev