PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow spotters balcony...
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2018, 16:11
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by AndoniP
Unfortunately, the land and space around a place like Heathrow is at a premium, so it'll likely be used for retail space or whatnot. Also, as it's a really busy place, I'd imagine the management won't want non-passengers milling around the place as it's more people to manage.

These days the only way to see aircraft at LHR is either at the gate or (depending on your Terminal) in a restaurant or part of the departure hall.

Obviously, there are also places around the perimeter fence that afford a good view of arriving or departing aircraft, but these also require you to make extra arrangements with regard to refreshment, toilets etc.

I always thought it would be a great idea if someone built some sort of viewing deck on the perimeter of the airfield, ideally in a space between the runways. I'm sure there is some property available but the development of such an area would mean spotters incur some sort of entry fee to pay for rates, cleaning, parking etc.
The rooftop viewing area on Queens Building was closed off to the public in about '78 and left derelict for many years. There was no reason it coulldn't have been retained with suitable security checks.
Mind you there was a nice empty building next to the bus station; used to be called the 'control tower; gave superb views; most distractng when you were there on 'management' courses.

Last edited by chevvron; 20th Feb 2018 at 11:16.