PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Only Question you need to ask yourself
Old 19th Feb 2018, 09:38
Air Profit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shep, good post. I would counter with the observation that many of us are actually enjoying the present moment (as we plan our exit). Since the 13th month insult, I have already calculated that I have seen deliberate cost INCREASE measures that have totaled probably close to 5 times as much, and it's only mid Feb! Needless to say, when you motivate your entire Captain ranks to send a message that they are done being mistreated and insulted, you will quickly see that you have made a massively costly mistake in "man mis-management". An example or two, we landed with F30, after early config, then rolled to the second exit (could have made the first, but wanted to be 'smooth' :-), then had to back track on the taxi way, which then led to a 1 min delay for conflicting ground traffic, then a leisurely taxi to the gate. Figured it cost about 200KG extra fuel from the start of the approach, 200KG I could EASILY have saved. Just one approach and landing, on one aircraft. Multiply daily. Another example, change of ZFW. Used to round down in favour of the company. Now, if it's close to say, 200KG of fuel but 'not quite'. The answer now becomes 100KG (and frequently not even that), instead of 200KG in years gone by. Doesn't sound like much does it?, but multiply by thousands of flights per year and suddenly that simple thing alone has accounted for far more than my $37000. And so on and so on. So, i'm actually enjoying my time at the moment. Sort of how the resistance must have felt during WW2 when they blew up a train track

Last edited by Air Profit; 19th Feb 2018 at 09:55.