PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Seizure and the RAF
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2018, 16:23
ZNXY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Single Seizure and the RAF

Hello all,

Bit of a stab in the dark here but here goes...

9 years ago, when I was 11, I had what was described as a single 'complex partial seizure'. This effected my speech and coordination for approximately 15-20 minutes, at which point the symptoms subsided and everything returned to normal. I did not experience a loss of consciousness, I was completely aware of my surroundings throughout the entire period, and there were no 'convulsions'.

After a spell in hospital and a clear MRI, the doctor decided that it was probably either puberty, the spray paint can I used (used to be into that Warhammer thing), or the energy drink I drank that day which caused the seizure. Since then, I have not had another seizure, and have never been on any medication. Therefore I have not been diagnosed with epilepsy.

Annoyingly it has always been my ambition to be a multi-engine pilot, primarily so in the RAF. Now as a 20 year old student, I am trying to make this a reality. And it seems I may have a battle on my hands!

Looking at the medical guidance in the RAF medical document AP1269a, the minimum seizure-free period for selection into the RAF is 10 years. However, the joint service publication JSP950 (part 1, leaflet 6-7-7) states 5 years as the minimum. I have no idea if this is valid for aircrew also, but the 10 year time period does coincide with the CAA/EASA neurological guidelines for the Class 1 Medical.

Does anybody know anyone who has been accepted after a single seizure? Or gain a Class 1 Medical for commercial piloting at least? I feel I have a bit of a rare case as all the other answers I have read on the internet involve the subject being diagnosed with epilepsy or being on medication.

Thanks for any help!