PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 18th Feb 2018, 12:52
EAP86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for a bit of context on the seat mods for Tornado, during the latter half of the 90s there were many Tornado seat mods going through the system; I think the term used internally was "the six pack".

The main driver for these mods was the fact that many RAF pilots fell outside of the 3%ile to 99%ile cleared anthropometric range. When the problem had first arisen, the RAF had approached MBA for an assessment and the immediate outcome was a strangely shaped envelope in the RTS limiting where ejection was cleared. The mods, including a new main parachute (GQ5000?), had to be embodied to return to the larger, simpler cleared envelope for all aircrew.

Its around 20 years since I looked at the mod documentation and I confess I have no recollection of issues with the scissor shackle. Part of the problem may have been due to the RAF dealing directly with MBA and not via the Panavia Partner with design responsibility for the ejection system. This did cause difficulties with respect to trying to consider the interests of the other Tornado operators.

I can't say I recall a 2002 QinetiQ report on this subject but the date suggests it was finalised a fair time after the various mods were designed and qualified. Perhaps the Panavia/MBA records might help substantiate the QQ assertion wrt to MOD02198's purpose?

EAP