PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Making gliders visible to GA aircraft
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:26
PaulisHome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making gliders visible to GA aircraft

Please consider making a donation to help upgrade the OGN network in areas we all frequently fly so that gliders can be seen on the PilotAware traffic awareness system increasingly carried by General Aviation aircraft. To do so, go to http://www.justgiving.com/crowdfundi...derconspicuity (or go to JustGiving.com and search “Make gliders more visible”)

Forumites will be familiar with both PilotAware and Flarm. The number of GA aircraft with PilotAware systems is growing quickly, since the cost of a unit is low – less than £200. However, the two systems can't see each other, which is frustrating.

Following the fatal collision between a Junior and a Cessna near HusBos a year or so ago, the two teams involved in these systems got together to provide at least some of the solution. By upgrading the OGN ground stations, and adding a PilotAware capability, General Aviation (GA) aircraft with PilotAware can be alerted to the position of gliders in their vicinity.

I think that this is smart thing to do – better visibility of gliders to the GA world has to be a good thing, and the overall cost is fairly low.

So I’m working with the PilotAware team to try and get a good proportion of the OGN receivers in the UK upgraded to provide this functionality for this year’s flying season. I should emphasise that I’m not doing this as a commercial venture – merely as a public good.

Some people who run OGN stations are able and prepared to cover the cost of this upgrade (between £110 and £230). However, it would be extremely useful to have funds available to upgrade some receivers where this is not the case. If we can raise £5000 that should allow us to upgrade around thirty receivers that would otherwise not have been done.

Your help will be much appreciated.

[The presentation given on this at the recent BGA conference can be seen at https://tinyurl.com/yayb6h9y ]

With thanks

Paul