PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish government declares ATPL as equivalent to a University degree
Old 17th Feb 2018, 19:30
what next

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Elephant and Castle.

Similar in my case. Compare just the numbers: We were 250 students in my year on day one. 40 of us got their diploma after 6 or 7 years. Not only because it was difficult but because it meant working real hard for long hours for many years. In my ATPL course we were 12. All 12 got their license.
During my university study I spent one full year doing practicums in the aerospace industry (where I was tasked with almost everything from shoveling sand into molds at the foundry - one of the most valuable experiences in my life because it taught me what real work looks like and why things made by humans need to be treated with respect - to computing the center of gravity of research satellites). This alone is more learning time and professional experience than many students will get for an integrated ATPL course.

Still, as I already wrote above, the pilot profession needs an official recognition above Uber-taxi-driver or french fries fryer (as it is now). Therefore I hope that the Spanish approach to that subject will be adopted throughout the EU.