PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 505 Jet Ranger X
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2018, 14:34
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Spunk, it's funny that you mention the BO105. When I was doing my Bolkow transition at PHI, one of the things we practiced was stuck-pedal. Doing a stuck-right, I had - as usual - royally screwed it up. We ended up skimming along, just above the runway with the nose cocked way off to the right, no chance for pulling power and going around.

My instructor, the great Jerry Loviglio goes, "Drag a skid."
And I said something like, "WHAT???????" Me, having spent my entire career up to that point flying two-blade, teetering systems, and thinking about how we were going to get dynamic rollover and roll that 105 up into a big, German ball.

And he goes, "Watch." He takes the controls, lowers the upwind (left) skid and drags it along the ground. Sure enough the nose comes around and we slide to a stop.

"Rigid rotor," he smiled. You know that smile - the one IP's use when they show you a trick that they knew and you didn't.

Heh. I was impressed!

Try *that* in your 505.

Now admittedly, the chances of getting a stuck pedal in a 206 would be like the chances of getting a stuck-cyclic. It's all pushrods and bellcranks going back to the tail rotor, same as the main. It's aircraft that have cable-actuated t/r pitch-change mechanisms that are "more" prone to stuck-pedal situations. (And come on, I put the word "more" in quotes because let's be fair, they just don't happen all that often.)

Oh wait...does the 505 have the same tail rotor control linkage as the 206? Hmm...somehow I think not...

Nige321 - thank you for posting that chart! It's always good to have the straight scoop and not hearsay or innuendo.

I had been told that Bell was working "feverishly" on improving that 500-landing limit, and I'm happy to see that they did. It didn't take long. It's now 3,000 hours (but curiously they seem to have deleted the limitation on the number of landings). I also see that the mid fuselage/floor is also up to 3,000 hours.