PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - Direct Entry Pilot (A320)
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2018, 12:00
Century255

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is just one week (!) or five working days since the assessment days are over. So I think we should give them some time. In my opinion there is nothing to complain about. For me it was a positive experience, even if I haven’t had an Interview yet. And I still have a positive mind setting.

The EI team expected to meet a certain personality when I was showing up there. They already knew who I am because I answered lots of personal questions. Now, guess what they are doing? They are simply looking for evidence that I behave like they expect me to behave from those questions. That's what it is all about.

They crosscheck that during the group assessment. For example your profile says that you are an active listener. This is important when working in a team environment. Well, great. But in reality you are not listening to others, don't engage with the whole group, overrule others... That’s it, you are out. That’s not what they expected, not what you pretended to be, based on your psychological profile they have. They score us during every exercise. That score has to fit into the whole picture.

One could also have bad luck with the group itself and get drowned in the dynamic behaviour of some people. That is the, or another reason for the panel exercise…

You had the interview? Oh, it was really relaxed… Nice people, a little Smalltalk, they want to learn more about you… Just be yourself….
Did they ask for your weakness for example? Believe me; they already know your weaknesses. At least they have a rough idea of it. Again, does your answer show evidence to their idea of who you are? Yes? Great, so time to go to the Sim.

Here is another place where it all comes together. But they are not only assessing your flying skills. They expect you to be able to handle the acft in a professional manner… But again, what about the personality you showed during the whole assessment? Does it fit in the big picture?

There are so many hidden hurdles to stumble about…

They collect a lot of data during the assessment. The evaluation will take some time. Even if somebody made it in the Sim, that does not necessarily mean that all went right.
But I think they progress those at first to the next stage, who showed the best prospects for a good outcome during the process.

Some will fail; some are only an average fit to their needs. It might also be that others have a better gig with another company. Especially some of the experienced guys will probably have more than one opportunity. This is the time where they will look at those who haven't had the interview yet.

That is just my point of view and I really have to say that I met some good people with a professional attitude in Dub. Most of them, if not all will make their way somehow. At least the assessment day was a good experience, not only about the company itself, but also on what to expect in Ireland.

And yes, I spend money and time in the preparation process. But I did that for me, not especially for EI as it is not the only airline I applied to. It is an investment in my future.

And yes, I spend money in a MCC refresher on a 320. I'm not rated on any type, but I believe it is important to keep my MCC skills sharp. You never know... But again, it was for me and myself and nobody else. But I want to be prepared and show a professional way of working should I need it someday.

The only money I spent especially for the assessment was the journey itself. And this is something I was aware of in advance, even before applying for the job.

But I agree it would be somewhat annoying if they do not give an answer at all about the outcome of the process. The first filter was the online assessment, but thereafter it is getting more personal and it wouldn't fit to their company values if they just leave us with no response. While saying this, I'm confident that we will hear from them.
Just give them time to assess and work with all that data they collected. There are more than 300 personalities to be looked at in a respectful way. And that’s what they do.

So let’s stay tuned and keep each other informed if there is any movement…