PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vickers Viscount pilots, cabin crew and engineers.
Old 17th Feb 2018, 11:05
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
finally a surprise BMA V.800 one LHR-Teesside, a substitute for a DC9
hi there

the VC8 on the LHR-MME run was a regular actually as on a Friday night and all flights at weekends especially in the summer because the DC-9's all upped sticks to the do the Jersey ''bombing runs'' from the outstations such as to/from:
LTN GLA SEN CVT LPL MME EMA BHX - many on W patterns

also at a low point we only had one DC-9 in the fleet and if she was tech or on mx in AMS then a VC8 would do the Teesside all the time if we could not get a sub charter in such as Martinair or Finnair

A BMA Viscount as you may know holds the record for the fastest flight time to London from Teesside
Xmas day? - cannot recall the actual flying time - someone here will know...

edit :
found it on PPrune!
A Viscount does hold the LHR - MME record. Capt Joe Sharps, one Boxing day, howling southerly gale, 09L (10L?) departure to a 05 (06?) arrival, direct track. I may be wrong but I think the time was 24 mins airborne. No doubt one of my (ex) colleagues will correct me. There were numerous attempts to beat the time but it was never bettered. BMA, sadly missed.

ps:
a BMA DC-9 did it in 28 mins airborne time - 27R to 05
37 mins chocks to chocks

Fastest airbourne I remember ever is 14 mins BHX-LHR including a full hot English breakfast for the entire cabin!
once round the hold for the hosties to try and clear up and less than 20 mins on a LPL-LHR again with full hot breakfast

the BEST ever hot breakfast we had at BMA was on the first early flight down BD331 from MME to LHR
back then the catering was supplied by the hotel St George at the Middleton St George airport...
big sausage, mushrooms, smoked bacon and KIDNEYS
yum it was delicious by the time it soaked up all the juices on arrival at LHR

Last edited by rog747; 17th Feb 2018 at 11:29. Reason: fastest flight details