PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dreams
Thread: Dreams
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2018, 10:44
Plank Cap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dreams and Company Safety Policy

Just cracked 20000 hours, ten years rotary and twenty fixed wing, and life takes a funny turn. Never had many concerns over bad dreams previously but now starting to have some fairly unpleasant nights as the brain goes into overdrive whilst I sleep, or more accurately try to sleep.

This mostly started when my operator (large Middle East plank-wing airline) began pursuing an evermore penalising and punitive policy against its pilots. The company takes the view that operational errors and incidents can be regulated against, and punishment continues as a way to improve their safety record - I kid you not, we seem to genuinely have a management belief that mistakes can be avoided by enhanced levels of punishment and retribution.

I know, I know, why come and work for a Middle East operator stuck in the middle ages, as far as its safety policy goes? Still, here we are, and as regards the dreams is it too simple to draw any causal link? I consider myself no more than an average operator at best, and as yet I have fortunately escaped any incident and associated retribution -- but several others here have had issues, in some cases leading up to them being at best 'resigned' by the company, and in a few cases fired.

Time to give it up and head for the garden?