PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High altitude stall recovery B737
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2018, 01:18
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Super trio of Tube's by D Davis' days test flying. I thought I'd pop in for a moment, but two hours later I was still hanging on every word.

I'd owned his book since 1970, though seen my crew's later copies, however, I'd never heard him speak before. A bit of Winkle Brown in his delivery.

One thing in the later book was an impassioned plea to enable crews to be able to get hands on a real aircraft for occasional real flying. Probably gave bean-counters nightmares.

I was lucky, for years I was able to take the real aircraft into the stall, (Viscount) or push, (BAC 1-11) It's true to say that while I enjoyed that era, I was always rather perplexed by the lack of trainer's knowledge about pulling out of the (substantial) dive. I recall doing two or three in quick succession from 30,000 and getting a good view of the ocean before feeling any significant g. I had NO guidance on the recovery commencement. Great fun.

Of course, getting the load off the wings was done for me by the nitrogen ram. The Claxton made quite sure one was not nodding off.