PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scared of Flying?
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2018, 17:27
DODGYOLDFART

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no fear of flying as such but I do have a significant fear of landing. This started to afflict me around the point where I had accumulated around 2000 hours PIC on 20 or so different aircraft types. As far as I can tell it started following what had been described as an unplanned and excessively heavy off airfield landing due to mechanical failure. Fortunately although the aircraft was a write off no one was seriously hurt. The following day I had a check out on an identical aircraft flying around the circuit for about an hour with a QFI on board doing all the usual stuff like EFT, SF, etc. and had no problems.

Shortly after I had a none flying overseas posting and I did not fly PIC for just over two years. However when I came back to flying I started to have a problem on finals very much to do with judgement of height and distance (real or imagined). Something a bit like what golfers call the "yips". After a couple off serious near misses I stopped flying. Even 30 years later I still have the same problem when sitting in the right hand seat as a passenger alongside a competent PIC.