PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electric aeroplanes...
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2018, 09:51
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Problems to be solved...

- Energy density
- Crashworthiness of any battery technology used.
- Best practice in power system management
- Pilot training and qualification
- Ground infrastructure for charging, battery swappover, etc.
- Design practices

I don't see any of that as insoluble, it's just that the solutions seem likely at the moment to primarily favour small, short duration training aeroplanes. That seems unlikely to be the permanent position and touring light aeroplanes and regional airliners may just happen in my lifetime, if not necessarily in my flying career.

However, I'm quite happy to also say that some things I'm regularly reading are complete cobblers. I am getting to the point of wanting to shout abuse at the authors every time I read of yet another "flying taxi" project offering an electric, autonomous flying car that will be delivered within 5 years, operate from outside people's houses and cost a fraction of the price of a new Cessna 172 - having been developed invariably by teams with little or no aircraft design, flight test and certification experience. There is just so much snake oil there that the people who are peddling this rubbish should be facing public ritual humiliation, not having their fanciful artists impressions spread all over the internet.

G