PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scared of Flying?
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2018, 20:08
Thud_and_Blunder

Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
Re Taxydual's dit about the Tonka in the Falklands: we sadly lost a Puma within days of arriving in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe for the monitoring of the 'ceasefire' and 'elections' (yeah, right... sigh). Despite the arrival brief from a member of the RhAF about the primary hazard in such a wide-open country being from wirestrike (they'd lost 3 a/c in the preceding year due to this reason), the crew were brought down while flying at high speed along a road. The wires they hit were between 20-30 ft above ground at the point of contact; they hit them with their tail (ie the wires had gone over the main rotor). What a waste.

Referring back to previous posts, I used to have the ones about trees too. Just like the wire-related dreams stopping after I started my current role, the tree-related instances stopped during my 3-year stint in Borneo where we would get right down into and under the canopy. One major HLS by a research station required letting down into a gap 3-400m from the site and flying up the river under the canopy to get in.