PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 20nm CTAF Dumped
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2018, 06:36
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Re ' there weren’t anywhere near the number of AUF/RAus/GFA/HGFA etc aircraft that are now fitted with VHF and wandering (and broadcasting) happy as a cloud.'.....

I would not be too sure of this claim.......

In 'the hayday', every 'second cocky' had a '172' in the barn, and the number of mining / charter aircraft was quite high.
In the day, they were mostly 6 to 8 seaters - Barons, 402's, Navajo /Chieftain etc. and some 10 seaters, and all in all, there was LOTS of them.

And all at or below A10,000...so lots of talkies...for some....

Then entered the turbines - Kingairs, Jetstreams, Brasilias, etc which carried more, so the number of aircraft actually decreased over time, as their capacity and cruise levels increased.

Now its mostly 'high fliers' jets, in CTA, and only on these dreaded 'Area' freqs on 'the drop'.

So why is there still 'too much chatter' to paraphrase your claim..??

No radio 'discipline' perhaps?

Pilots of today instructed that they 'must' call at....x, y, and z....

Too busy watching their glass house displays instead of...l o o k i n g outside...perish the thought.
(This 'ere gadget' will alert me if......so I can listen to my 'boom boom music' whilst we fly....
Whats that - I can't hear the engine?
Oh Dear...neither can I.....
Didn't hear the revs drop / engine note change with the carby ice?

And then, call with every detail of one's life when on descent to a 'CTAF.' etc.
Is this how it is?

I'll be down in the weeds, so that all other aircraft are easily sighted 'against the sky', when I get to these areas......
Cheers

'Tis been a 'long day'......
Etc Etc