PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scared of Flying?
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2018, 15:07
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a techie in the RAF so just did the usual transit flights etc. Never had any problem with those in fixed wing but I never really liked helicopters. It's down to the fact that they dont have wings sticking out to the side. Stupid I know, I'm aware they can autorotate in the event of an engine failure. It's just one of those irrational fears.

I flew gliders for years before doing a PPL and always wore a 'chute when gliding. I remember feeling distinctly unhappy during the first few flights of my PPL at the lack of one. Doesn't bother me now as the chances of getting out of your average spammy with a 'chute on are virtually non existent anyway.

I also hate being up ladders, and even get uncomfortable standing on a chair yet the heights involved in flying don't bother me at all.

The only fear I have when flying is a midair. There are lots of blind spots on light aircraft and there have been a few occasions over the years when I've only been a second or two from being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I especially dislike busy circuits. The airfield I fly from has three training organisations on it and it's not unusual to have four or five fixed wing in the circuit, plus a chopper or two doing whatever it is they do, usually being flown by trainees who are maxed out flying the circuit, never mind keeping a good lookout. Needless to say my head swivels like the young lady in the exorcist film.

Last edited by thing; 13th Feb 2018 at 16:41.