PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angry cabin crew (forum rumor)
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2018, 09:38
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nolimitholdem
I don't mean to diminish the achievement of the CC banding together with some semblance of solidarity. Truly. Kudos to them.

But if one is rational - and honest - it's far easier to be "brave" when you have far less, or nearly nothing, to lose. (Which is why people fitting that description are far more dangerous, as well.)

The average profile of cabin crew at EK: young, single, few years invested in the company, and no designs on a career there; is nothing like that of the average profile of a pilot at EK: older, often with a family to support, and highly invested in their career. (This demographic is shifting by EK design to favour pilots fitting in the former profile, I know!)

This is a generalization and of course there are many exceptions in both groups. And again, this is NOT intended to disrespect those cabin crew who DO have a great deal to lose and showed up anyway.

But as such, especially given the vastly larger employee group, it is perfectly logical that a "revolt" should gather far larger numbers of cabin crew than pilots. Good old Harry though, never missing a chance to disparage his colleagues as lacking "balls"...do you need a link to the definition of "patronizing" or what...?
I don't disagree with some of your points. However, I would have thought that it's BECAUSE of the very reasons you state that, as a group, pilots are in a far stronger position to stand their ground than our cabin crew colleagues.

We need around 750-800 pilots over the next 12-14 months. We're getting a fraction of that number. Cabin crew recruitment has been frozen for the last 18 months and only now is it planned to re start with the earliest course being late April, early May. Without wishing to sound like the patronising git you accuse me of, if you were running this Company, which group do YOU think is the one the Company needs the most. Some of those cabin crew you refer to are just as much invested in their job as us. I would say that a large number of our pursers, CSV's and FG1's have spouses and children and, unlike the majority of pilots, also use their income to support extended family back home.

As for the disparaging comments, I'll stand by that. When I see your name on the EK dedicated forum along with Talparc and his like, then I'll retract my opinion that the majority of moaners haven't the balls!

Harry

Last edited by harry the cod; 13th Feb 2018 at 09:53.