PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reputation of Aussie pilots overseas
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2018, 09:08
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Keg
Well that would depend on whether I’ve burned all my planned taxi fuel would it not? If the load sheet says you’re going to burn 500kg on taxi depart at MTOW and you’ve only burned 200 are you suggesting you’d depart anyway because hey, errors in the tanks.
I would depart, the justification is not “errors in tanks”, it is being in possession of a valid load sheet and performance data. Under CAR 235 your airline will have an approved “method of estimating” and “manner of determining” the the weight of the aircraft, together with the weight of all persons and goods (including fuel) on board the aircraft, and the centre of gravity. The method/manner is the rigid process to compile, issue, and accept the load sheet, it is not the number on the lower SD screen.

Turn that statement around the other way, if your load sheet indicates ZFW+(Total fuel-taxi) > MTOW and sit at the holding point to burn off a tonne of contingency fuel to be under MTOW based upon fuel burn, that is illegal. That is due to your approved “method of estimating” and “manner of determining” the TOW on the load sheet indicates it is overweight.

Taking off overweight is an offence of strict liability, every element of a strict liability offence must be proven by the prosecutor, and proven beyond a reasonable doubt. With a valid load sheet and performance data you are covered because it is the approved “method of estimating” and “manner of determining”, if the load sheet that says you are overweight and sit on the ground to burn off contingency fuel you are not covered.

Originally Posted by Keg
Broadcast your intention to accept greater than the certified limit?
That is not my take on what was going on, they decided to have a look and make their own assessment.

Originally Posted by TineeTim
That’s important sh*t right there...
The important thing is knowing that a horizontal windsock is 15 kts and it is located just next to where you want to touch down. Knowing how ATC determines the mean wind is not important, it is important to understand that it is not realtime or at the touchdown point.