PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AVDATA landing fees - automatic from CTAF calls?
Old 13th Feb 2018, 03:27
kaz3g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason_M
To add fuel to the fire.... Have emailed Dept Infrastructure this:

Hello Leonie,

Could you please pass this onto the relevant person/team – I could not work out from the Department’s web site who to ask.

I am an IFR pilot (I live in Canberra and have an aircraft hangered here), as such for currency and competency reasons, on a weekly basis undertake “practice” IFR flights which include “practice approaches” to aerodromes – the nature of the ratings and endorsements on my licence require I conduct 2D and 3D approaches.

Recently I conducted such a flight and conducted an RNAV (a GPS guided approach) approach to a local aerodrome (in class G airspace, with no tower) and at the appropriate point (682 feet above ground) executed a missed approach procedure (which is normal in a practice scenario where you do not wish to land). I did not land, I stated on the local CTAF frequency I did not land. I then returned to Canberra and executed an ILS approach and landed.

A period after, as part of an AVDATA bill (Avdata being a company that collects landing fees on behalf of the aerodrome operator) I was charged for landing at the aerodrome at which I conducted the missed approach. I queried this and was told:

“Thank you for your email. I have listened to the recordings and can confirm that one of the charges is definitely a Practice Approach. However, Cooma Airport does charge for Practice Approaches (it is the same as a landing charge).

Therefore, unfortunately the charges still remain.”
If they own the NDB and if you used it they might have grounds to charge you. An RNAV no way in my view. Seems like an attempted fraud to me or at least misleading and deceptive conduct. Can't see a contract in it, either. They might post it on a sign on the airport but you won't see it if you don't land.

It's a dispute about goods and services so you can take it to the NSW tribunal under Fair Trading/Consumer Law. Small fee and you can self represent. I'd love to hear the result if you do this.

Kaz