PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AVDATA landing fees - automatic from CTAF calls?
Old 13th Feb 2018, 01:37
Jason_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To add fuel to the fire.... Have emailed Dept Infrastructure this:

Hello Leonie,

Could you please pass this onto the relevant person/team – I could not work out from the Department’s web site who to ask.

I am an IFR pilot (I live in Canberra and have an aircraft hangered here), as such for currency and competency reasons, on a weekly basis undertake “practice” IFR flights which include “practice approaches” to aerodromes – the nature of the ratings and endorsements on my licence require I conduct 2D and 3D approaches.

Recently I conducted such a flight and conducted an RNAV (a GPS guided approach) approach to a local aerodrome (in class G airspace, with no tower) and at the appropriate point (682 feet above ground) executed a missed approach procedure (which is normal in a practice scenario where you do not wish to land). I did not land, I stated on the local CTAF frequency I did not land. I then returned to Canberra and executed an ILS approach and landed.

A period after, as part of an AVDATA bill (Avdata being a company that collects landing fees on behalf of the aerodrome operator) I was charged for landing at the aerodrome at which I conducted the missed approach. I queried this and was told:

“Thank you for your email. I have listened to the recordings and can confirm that one of the charges is definitely a Practice Approach. However, Cooma Airport does charge for Practice Approaches (it is the same as a landing charge).

Therefore, unfortunately the charges still remain.”

There is no mention of charging for practice approaches at Cooma in the AirServices ERSA and I, and the pilot community is not aware of anywhere else where the operator charges for a practice approach where the wheels do not touch the ground – ATC charges are of course wrapped into AirServices Australia charges.

Before I make a major issue of it, I have scanned the legislation and material on the Internet, but I am by no means an expert of finding such information! I am trying to determine if the aerodrome operator is entitled in law to charge for effectively “over flying” the aerodrome! If they are, I and the pilot community would like to understand the parameters around such charges – is it height based, or distance based?

I would like some clarification from the Department on this matter.

Thank you

Jason Moore