PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prostate cancer
Thread: Prostate cancer
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2018, 22:33
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Unfortunately I was diagnosed with prostate cancer shortly before Christmas after they investigated a mildly high PSA (~5). Urologist had a nice quote though - "many men die with prostate cancer, but not many die from prostate cancer". Depending on what they see, treatment can be anything from "keep an eye on it and see what happens" to complete removal of the prostate.
Biopsy sounds bad, but in reality wasn't a big deal - some stings and a sore bum for a few days. Worst part was blood in my 'bodily fluids' for some time after.
They caught mine early, which is fortunate because it's fairly aggressive (8 on a scale of 2-10), two different scans found no evidence it's spread. Treatment plan is hormones for a couple months (already started), focused beam radiation for 5 weeks, then implant of radioactive 'seeds' in the prostate after a couple week break from the external radiation, then a few more months of hormones.
Obviously not something I want to deal with, but the prognosis is very positive.