PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scared of Flying?
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2018, 21:28
MightyGem

Received 75 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm another one who has a recurring nightmare involving urban areas and overhead wires.
So am I! Although mine also included finding myself under a tree canopy trying to find a way through the branches. I also used to dream about things like landing and then having the aircraft fall over on to it's side. It got to the point where, in the dream, I would tell myself that it was ok, it was only a dream. The dreams faded after I retired.

I was never scared of flying, but I did get rather uncomfortable when flying a Jet Ranger at 10,000ft with the doors off in light turbulence. Even after the incident when a Lynx shed a blade I was quite happy to fly one the following day.

The only time that I really, really didn't want to fly was after the Glasow Police Helicopter crash. I was flying the same type with NPAS(National Police Air Service),and they decided to send us and our aircraft up there more or less straight away as a temporary replacement. I was up there for a few days and was quite happy that I only flew once. That feeling took a while to go away. I think that it was the inexplicable nature of the accident that was the problem.