PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scared of Flying?
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2018, 18:44
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
I will tiptoe in with a couple of comments, as a non-pilot. The disconnect between flying and being on Earth is clearly strong with me.

Flying. Never a twitch when Air Cadets or PPL. The only bit I didn't like was spinning in the TM, in the back seat, where i had the sensation I was actually above the top wing. Passenger flying ... oh, about 500,000 miles, and these days doing about 40k-60k a year. Utterly detached, I really don't think about the wonder of flying [or perils] at all, although I'm always alert and focussed on takeoff and landing. I just read my Kindle or watch the IFE (if it's working, BA). Although the 30º AOB turns in a hold can generate an odd feeling, so I don't look out of the window!

Heights. My stomach seriously turns when I see images [still or moving] of people in high places [buildings, mountains or whatever]. Always has done. Buster Keaton hanging on that clock-face ... aargh. And you can forget the Grand Canyon! I can [could] get up a ladder to 1st floor guttering, but that was about it - and quite comfortable. I used to have to pressure-wash our roof in Surrey, due to pine needles, which fortunately had a very shallow pitch (20º?). I would happily drag the Karcher around on the single-storey bit, but the 2-storey part was challenging ... especially when I got anywhere near the edge, when it became crawling on hands and knees.