PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA Immigration crackdown
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2018, 18:13
GTC58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICE is presently targeting many businesses in California. I doubt anyone reported CX to ICE to target their pilots. Every employee in SFO, ground staff, cabin crew and pilots were audited. CX just fit a certain profile which ICE wanted to audit.

Well, in regards of some posters being hypocritical, you all are aware that there are many US citizens on a Canadian base with no visa. I remember one American who took an early freighter command in YVR who was the most vocal to get Canadians kicked of the US base.
Now thats someone I would call hypocritical.

It also seems, most of the above posters are not familiar with the law in the US. California Supreme Court ruled a couple of years ago that all California laws, specifically discrimination laws, apply to undocumented immigrants. As such, employers can not discriminate against national origin regardless of status. Considering this ruling, CX might be already in non-compliance as they restrict Canadians to stay on base and in rank on the California bases, even though they are employed under a US CBA with US labour and discrimination law protections. In addition CX insisted since 93 that it is totally legal for Canadians to fly CX jets out of California bases and lets say ICE rules that this is not the case CX could be facing significant litigation in California by those affected.

Most Canadians on the US base are classified non-resident aliens as they live and commute from Canada. The same applies to Americans on the Canada base. There are provisions for this under NAFTA and US / Canada immigration laws. When CX onshored the US bases, there was significant time and money spent for US immigration lawyers to determine if Canadians can remain on the base. IMO ICE will just confirm this and the status quo remains.

Last edited by GTC58; 12th Feb 2018 at 18:38.