PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Intsructing for Fun - ie unpaid
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2003, 07:36
Human Factor
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this mean that I will be looked upon with distain by fellow flyers and instructors? I would sincerely hope not, particularly as I wish to instruct to pass on my love of flying, not merely to achieve hours for my own purposes.
I'm in a similar position to Obs cop. I'm currently doing a FIC in order to instruct part-time (for fun?) in order to give something back to the system. I make a living in other parts of aviation and I'm happy to give up some of my spare time to pass on my enthusiasm. It's not my intention to steal anyone's job and I have no intention of instructing for free as I feel this would contribute to this. The only thing I'll insist on is an employment contract and the going rate for a FI(R), mainly so I'm covered by the employer's liability insurance.

While I appreciate that instructing is a valuable way of entering the professional aviation world, relatively few people see instructing as anything other than a means of building hours. An enthusiastic instructor whose sole motivation is seeing his or her student gain a PPL whilst ensuring that a high standard of common sense is ingrained is surely a far better prospect than an instructor who will disappear off to an airline at the earliest opportunity.