PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reputation of Aussie pilots overseas
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2018, 00:46
Ollie Onion

Received 222 Likes on 77 Posts
Hey Rodney,

Calm down mate.....

1 - You say the BA crew 'knowingly landed outside of limits'.... how do you know? Is there an incident report that says such. You are working off some 'recalled' memories of a radio exchange from 3 years ago? I would say there is far from enough evidence to show what you say is fact.

2 - Where did I say exactly how I judge a tailwind? Keg said that the BA crew reported 22kts tailwind 'approaching' the flare.... what does that mean? 500' is approaching the flare, if you are at 300' and the tailwind is out of limits but you can see a windsock on the ground that shows calm on the ground and you are landing on a non limiting runway at what point do you go around. There is no hard and fast rule.

3 - Our operating manual says specifically that you can take an ATC wind as the definitive direction and strength over and above the aircraft generated wind. At what point do I call bullsh*t on ATC. If the ATIS says a 16 kt tailwind and ATC say 'no it is now 14 kts' do I just say 'well I can't trust you' so I am going around.?

4 - Did the BA crew make it clear that they were landing no matter what ATC said.... I must of missed that bit.

At the end of the day Keg is using a situation that may or may not have been a violation of an aircraft limit with a foreign crew from an airline that has a pretty good safety record as evidence that Aussie pilots are not pedantic to the extreme. Perhaps not pedantic but certainly judgemental.