PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scared of Flying?
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2018, 22:22
Thud_and_Blunder

Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
Top thread with some excellent links. As an ex-squaddie, my opinion of the Basic Flying Training set-up on Jet Provosts was identical to ShyTorques; fortunately not all the QFIs were creamies or ex-V-Force though, and the good ones kindly steered me toward my first choice of Rotary. Shawbury was a different world, probably because they knew that the people they sent out to OCU and Sqn still as Plt Offs would be placed in positions of responsibility as a/c commanders much sooner than the FJ or multi folk.

Up until 3 years ago I also occasionally had the (often-vivid) dream of being in an urban or mountainous area with multiple wires and cables hemming me in overhead. However, now that I work right next to the damn things every day I find that particular dream no longer returns. Chatting to the linesmen and technicians who actually go up the poles and towers (pylons) to do the real work just reminds me how useless I am when at height without a helicopter strapped to my back.

One of my QHIs - it might've been Oldbeefer from these environs - once said that having a strong imagination is a disadvantage for helicopter pilots. A sense of realism certainly helps, but the constant projection of worst-case outcomes would be crippling. As has been shown by the admirably-brave correspondents earlier in this thread.

Oh, and wub: - I too did my parachuting at Kingsfield. Just 4 descents; the Brigadier's wife then complained about the Beaver getting airborne in fine pitch just after sunrise each day (it became too turbulent for ab-initio students after about 1000), and he had the course cancelled. A useful lesson in senior officers and their priorities