PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenger disaster and Boeing 757
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2018, 16:56
PDR1

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Challenger was a case study in my first masters, but all the notes are somewhere in the loft. I remember the "wind shear" being discussed along with the other aspects, but I don'r remember it being given any particular significance. But I do remember that there had been evidence of the SRB seals (O-rings, membrane and refractory putty) leaking right from the very first launch. It was the subject of an on-going investigation from that time and it was still not concluded 25 launches later.

There was evidence of seal blow-by on other launches as well. In fact I *think* I remember it being said that there was evidence of seal failure on all 24 launches that preceded STS-51-L. If it wasn't all then it was certainly the majority. These failures were randomly distributed between segments and around the circumference of the booster. One investigator concluded that the boosters leaked on every flight and that STS-51-L was simply the first time one of the hot gas leaks happened to impinge on the fuel tank.

PDR