PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things to ponder when considering EK
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2018, 13:38
_HAMMER_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That bad compared to FZ?

Hello guys, I’ve been following this thread and first I want to thanks everyone for giving us outside the job the the big picture about working for EK beyond flying shiny widebody airplanes.

I recently passed the screening at FZ but to be honest I’m having second thoughts about not considering EK, and since I will be going to the ME, I’m thinking why don’t apply to EK anyway..

I’m very aware of the working conditions you all posted here, however I can’t go anywhere else and I can’t stay home. I might be able to work in EU in the future (I have passport but not EASA license) so I'm planning to be at the ME at least 3-5 years or longer if family is happy and I can keep up with the roster. I think there are not good salaries in EU at least for FO.

So considering this, is it EK that bad comparing it with FZ and not with Europe? There is not much difference in pay, at FZ upgrade is possible within 2-3 years, which means saving more in the short-term (less that 5 years) and get PIC experience to get a better salary in EU afterwards. BUT, what about the experience? I don’t mind flying narrow body that much, it might be more fun and more time at home, but I do care about the experience talking about routes and operation! And of course is nice to get to know places around the world.

I’m considering all this because it might be a good time to get in since they are doing some heavy recruitment, maybe chances are better now. But is it worth it just for the routes and operation? Is it sustainable at least for 5 years with wife and kids? Is the experience and routes worth it more than PIC time on a popular type like the 737 to get a job in Europe as a possible exit plan out of the ME? Is it still allowed to opt out of company accommodation?

Thanks for your comments guys. Safe flights everyone.