PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scared of Flying?
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2018, 11:25
roving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During WWII on bomber command the pejorative description of those who expressed a fear of flying was that they "lacked moral fibre".

My dad was a flt cmdr on 267 in KL in the mid to late 1950's having originally been posted there as the Sqn QFS (the squadron was quite large with 4 or 5 different types of aircraft). Two of the Sqn Ldrs on the Sqn were WWII decorated Lancaster pilots. One had flown on one of the Tirpitz raids -- the one where they flew via Russia. My dad was a WWII fighter recon spitfire pilot in Italy.

So there was no lack of moral fibre on the part of those managing the Sqn.

When a first tourist lost his nerve and refused to fly the Pioneers into jungle forts claiming the aircraft were unsafe, he was up for the high jump. My dad, whose previous posting was as a Univ Sqn iCFI, was very sympathetic and attempted to save him. The outcome: the pilot was posted home in disgrace and my dad was viewed as a Quisling.

During the 1950's the attrition rate amongst RAF pilots was so high, it is remarkable that more pilots did not lose their nerve, but I suspect that few openly discussed their fears.