PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reputation of Aussie pilots overseas
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2018, 08:02
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
So where is your limit exceeding limitations cessnapete? Two knots? Why not three? Four? If you're going to miss an altitude how much is OK? 100'? 200'? How am I supposed to know what your personal limit for missing requirements is when I'm sharing the airspace? Can you put up a list for the rest of us so we know exactly which limits you're prepared to ignore? EGT? MTOW? MLW?

In the SYD 34L 744 brake fire example cited by ernestkgann the aircraft did stop safely. That's not in dispute. They landed within their tailwind limit and the performance charts indicated they could stop well within the distance required. The brake fire (and subsequent evac) was due to excess grease on the axles, not the use of idle reverse. That use may have contributed to a fire but a fire would not have occurred without the grease. Are we clear on that one now? Are we cool that it's got zero, nothing, nada, zippo to do with the example I raised of a BA crew indicating they were happy to exceed certified limits?

I'd absolutely go around if the tailwind was indicating 16 knots coming across the fence and my certified limit was 15. If something else goes wrong and I end up off the side/end of the runway (even if it was a mechanical thing not of my making) I'm not sure the insurance company is going to be thrilled with me landing outside certified limits.

I'll say one thing for sure. This thread has certainly been illuminating. I didn't realise I shared the sky with people who were so cavalier about exceeding aircraft limits. They must be the TRUE Astronauts as clearly they know much more about the aircraft they're flying than the flight test engineers who created the limits.