PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reputation of Aussie pilots overseas
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2018, 00:13
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by ernestkgann
Virgin driver did you miss the bit where I said I was there?
Did you miss the bit where I said the BA crew reported to ATC they could accept more than the certified downwind limit of the aeroplane?

There is no evidence of the QF crew doing the same in the event you’ve posted. If I understand that event correctly the TTFs were consistently less downwind than the certified limit or what the P charts would have said they could accept. ATC had not reported tailwind in excess of the aircraft limit.

That’s very different circumstances to the situation I’m talking about where for a number of hours previously the TTFs reported the tailwind consistently more than the certified limit and with the last TTF prior to top of descent still recording a tailwind of 18 knots.

Originally Posted by ernestkgann
Keg, I was holding prior to a landing at YSSY a few years ago when a QF -400 landed prior to curfew on 34L as they are approved to do. Unfortunately they were heavyish and there was a significant tailwind. They evacuated at the gate with reported brake fires although the pilots walked off the aeroplane rather then go down the slides. How did the BA crew go?
Did you miss the bit in the report where the F/O broke his collar bone going down the slide? Was that comment about the pilots designed to impugne their reputation?

Did you miss the bit in the report where the brake fire was as a result of excess grease on the axle and probably wouldn’t have occurred if it hadn’t been there?

Is the point you’re making that because the BA crew I referred to didn’t have a brake fire and evacuate that it’s ok to land with tailwind exceeding the certified limits?‪

We checked the 34L tailwind consistently until we landed 16R at 0600. Tailwind never decreased below 17 knots.

In short, I’ll take a a crew having to evacuate at terminal due brake fire as a result of excessive grease on an axle in front of a crew landing outside certified limits every day of the week. One is as a result of a crew applying certified limits correctly and dealing with events as they happened. The other is a prang waiting to happen. In what other cases are they prepared to ignore limits? Minimas? Crosswind limits? Stable approach limits? Heights?

So I’m not sure of the relevance of the incident that you relate to the one I’m talking about but the more I think about your comments the more I appreciate my airline.

Last edited by Keg; 11th Feb 2018 at 00:38.