PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Artificial horizon Vs VSI instrument flying straight and level
Old 10th Feb 2018, 21:55
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
A Formula Flight

B2N2 what on earth are you on about.

PelicanSquawk we use a simple formula. It doesn't matter whether we are discussing a small or large aeroplane; i.e. a C150 or a Boeing 777; POWER + ATTITUDE = PERFORMANCE. It is also true that; power + performance = attitude and to complete the triangle attitude + performance = power.

The power is able to be set precisely to the required RPM (on most training aircraft). You know whether you have set it correctly because the RPM gauge tells you. The attitude is a different matter, it is a matter of judgement which must be taught and practiced. Having set the power and also the attitude on the horizon by judgement, the aircraft must stabilise. You can then check the achieved performance; straight and level at the required airspeed or climbing/descending at a given rate. Adjust as necessary.

The artificial horizon we better refer to as the attitude indicator (AI) because this more effectively describes its role. Some teaching suggests that you should refer to the AI to check your setting of the attitude on the natural horizon. In my view this incorrect for many reasons. The achieved performance best confirms whether you are correct or not as I have shown above.

The Altimeter indicates your altitude/height, which may be changing, this is all. The VSI is a trend instrument and in part is designed to lag. In certain circumstances it can indicate a descent/climb opposite to what is actually happening.

Finally; a horse comes before the cart not the other way round.