PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Artificial horizon Vs VSI instrument flying straight and level
Old 10th Feb 2018, 19:23
PelicanSquawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Artificial horizon Vs VSI instrument flying straight and level

Hi All,

Please excuse my ignorance, with my question. Today I was practising some instrument flying with my instructor for the first time (pretty much). I was trying to hold her steady and level using the artificial horizon, and checking we weren't climbing or descending with the VSI and the altimeter. I am used to judging the attitude needed for straight and level flight by looking out of the cockpit and selecting the right attitude, double checking on the VSI. So my question is, would this attitude I select looking out of the cockpit typically equal "level wings" on the artificial horizon? Or are there instances (power settings) where the artificial horizon would show a slight nose up attitude for straight and level, and a sometimes level for a slight descent (with low power).

The reason I ask is because when I was trying to trim the aircraft for straight and level I think I was relying too much on the VSI and not quite trusting the AH, should I be looking for straight wings on the AH first and then confirming the 0 VSI reading, or is it the case that at many power settings the AH is in fact not level for straight level flight, and so I should be focussing more on the VSI?

I will talk to my instructor next time I see him, but just wanted to see what you guys recommend/think.

Thanks in advance for your help.