PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reputation of Aussie pilots overseas
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2018, 10:43
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive had a few mates do the whole Emirates thing and they've passed on some of the Austronaut stuff.

The real eye opener for me was in May 2015 listening to Speedbird respond to ATC for an early morning arrival into Sydney (0500 ahead of the curfew). Both flights running quite early and ETA SYD before 0500. We'd informed ATC that due to weight, wet runway and the way Airbus considers idle reverse on wet runway (braking action poor to medium) we were unable to accept more than 9 knots tailwind and likely to hold until 6am given the prevailing conditions.

ATC then asked Speedbird for their tailwind limit. We got a shock when they replied '15 knots but we can take a knot or two more than that'. Stunned silence from ATC (and on our flight deck too). ATC politely asked them to confirm their downwind limit. Again from Speedbird '15 knots but we can take a knot or two more than that'. ATC just 'rogered' the second confirmation.

Finally Approach checked when they were on vectors for SOSIJ. Same response again. TWR played the game and told them 'downwind 15, cleared to land'. After Landing the report was passed on to us that Speedbird had reported '22 knots downwind approaching the flare'.

That was the day I decided I was proud to be an Austronaut!

Originally Posted by framer
I don’t know if CASA is the root cause or just another side effect of the fact that as Australians we are more likely to call people out on something than almost any other nationality on the planet. There is some fancy Index that measures it and we are either number 1 or number 2 in the world.
Anyone know the name of the Index?
The 'calling out bull**** index'?