PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scared of Flying?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2018, 23:52
NutLoose

Received 2,938 Likes on 1,252 Posts
Originally Posted by mopardave
I'm staggered at this thread! It never occurred to me that anyone would feel this way. Absolute respect though. Nutloose makes a good point.....the connection with the ground. Drifting a little here, and certainly not making a comparison.....but, as I got older, I found it more and more difficult to operate aerial platforms (up to 99 feet) in the fire service. I'll never forget the feeling when I thought I'd toppled an hydraulic platform....merely a trick of the inner ear thankfully. Anyway.....apologies for commenting here. Nothing but respect from me gents.
MD
We used them on the Tens for working up on the tail plane, I took someone up to full stretch and was rotating it for him to get some pictures when I heard an awful graunching noise, the guy laughed and pointed at a hose that had got caught, I went cold as it was the main hydraulic line to the jack, I rotated back, lowered it down and put the thing U/S for a stretched hose. Ignorance on his side was bliss.

But some people just had no fear, some of you who know the Ten will understand this, we had a guy that used to cling onto the drip strip above the rear galley door and then swing himself up onto the pylon... It still scares me to think of it.