PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson Safety Courses
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2003, 23:41
RobboRider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slowrotor

I just found that ATSB report about the six out of six blades having some debonding.

******.. I'm back to being worried again

Slowrotor
Forgot to add. I don't think there have been many rotorhead failures of undetirmined cause. There have been rotorhead failures of detirmined (or at least fairly reasoned out causes) and perhaps a couple of unknown cause. The causes seem to be known for most and they are pretty much all avoidable, provided the pilot knows how to avoid them.

That isn't to say the problems don't exist but that there are thousands of pilots flying thousands of hours every week who are quite sucessfully avoiding those problems.

You have to keep it all in perspective.

One other comment about minimums of 20 hours for solo on R22s. I suspect most people aren't ready for solo before then anyway, legislation or not. I don't know that flying another brand of wirlygig would lower that time either.

Slowrotor
Forgot to add. I don't think there have been many rotorhead failures of undetirmined cause. There have been rotorhead failures of detirmined (or at least fairly reasoned out causes) and perhaps a couple of unknown cause. The causes seem to be known for most and they are pretty much all avoidable, provided the pilot knows how to avoid them.

That isn't to say the problems don't exist but that there are thousands of pilots flying thousands of hours every week who are quite sucessfully avoiding those problems.

You have to keep it all in perspective.

One other comment about minimums of 20 hours for solo on R22s. I suspect most people aren't ready for solo before then anyway, legislation or not. I don't know that flying another brand of wirlygig would lower that time either.