PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prostate cancer
Thread: Prostate cancer
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2018, 00:50
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Having reread the question I'm now assuming previous treatment of a temporary Brachytherapy. I'll leave my answer as it was just for general information but I don't know if one can have seeds after HDR temporary.

A few years ago I was on the acceptance borderline with a Gleason 7, made up of 4 - 3 (the worst way round) This may of course have changed.

I'm not sure what the effects of previous treatments may be.

It's worth noting, and again some years ago, after Brachytherapy the removal of the prostate is not possible, so decision making could be based on the reduced options left after previous treatment.
Gleason readings are notorious for causing stress and even morbidity in patients. So much so that stopping that routine test was considered in the UK for a while. Personally, I thought that to be foolish, but at 71, and contained, the slowing down of the growth-rate gives some comfort, especially when closely monitored. However, I'd want advanced scans, with an MRI at minimum.

I was lucky, I had an MRI for lower back prior to back surgery. The surgeon was aware of the previous problem but perhaps always looks for cancer in older prostate patients as the back is where it seems to go.

Last edited by Loose rivets; 9th Feb 2018 at 01:17.