PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low level Go around A320
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2018, 18:45
Bus Driver Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sidestick_n_Rudder
New Arbii (A350, 380) have a “soft go-around mode”, which is doing pretty much the same thing. It is also an option on new A330’s, not sure if it’s available on the 320
I think it's available now on A320 as an option, but I'm talking about reducing the thrust below CLB thrust to prevent excessive acceleration or overspeed after levelling off, as the level off altitude is immediately reached in the case described by Speedwinner.

Originally Posted by vilas
Why is it required now, What do you think the protection does? It will reduce thrust to maintain VFE. Just retract the flaps that's it.
Ok. Fair enough. You're right, A/THR will protect you from overspeed. But not everybody will remember this when they're in this situation where everything is happening in just a few seconds.
If I see the speed rapidly increasing and the PM doesn't retract the flaps after asking for retraction, my instinctive reaction is probably to reduce the thrust to prevent an overspeed before I have the time to realise that the A/THR will do the same.
My point was that there's nothing wrong with taking preventive actions yourself, instead of waiting for the automatics to do the same and risking ending up in an undesired state if they don't.

As I said if you are prepared for the sequence of actions and know when and what the protection does it is very simple.
As others and I said before, the person next to you might not be and might be slow in retracting the flaps. Ofcourse it's manageable, but both pilots have to be fully aware of what's going on.
As for the protections, you're right, but it's not wrong to do something yourself what the automatics will do as well. The result is the same.

There are many protections, but that doesn't mean that it's not allowed to intervene before reaching the parameters that will activate that protection.

If you left the thrust in TOGA till ALT* then it requires prompt actions because ATHR is only armed and not active so you can overspeed.
Incidently if your GA altitude is high say 5000ft and at ACC ALT of 1500ft you forget to bring thrust levers to CLB can you tell me what will happen?
Nobody mentioned passing thru ACC ALT and leaving the levers in TOGA until ALT*. The original question was regarding a go-around initiated close to your go-around altitude and immediately bringing back the levers to CLB.
If you pass thru ACC ALT and you leave the levers in TOGA, then the LVL CLB message keeps flashing, and obviously A/THR will not become active, but I don't see what this has to do with the original question and what is being discussed here.